Suey suey
Apparently the hottest thing in Thailand is a person whose parents are half Thai and half foreign. You see these faces everywhere, in every poster, TV add, you name it. They are obsessed with white skin. It is beauty here. Creams at pharmacies all have the “bleach a la Jackson” component. The funny thing is that I get asked often if I am half Thai. People come and deliberately speak Thai to me, out of the blue. If only I could play the role telling them about how mom was a Swiss researcher who fell for dad, a Myanmar doctor and that both moved to Bhutan, where I was eventually born. How exotic would that be? (granted my share of Brazilian“exoticism”, ok, ok)
Thai men are quite attractive, some have this beautiful cinnamon skin, big ivory smiles, and not so frail bodies. I have seen more than a handful of men who would put ‘farangs’ down on the floor. I think it is time chicks should come to Thailand and do what men do here. Yeah you see it everywhere, western men with Thai chicks, kids, and the whole package. I can see how. And why. Perhaps we, ocidental women, have forgotten about sweetness, femininity, charm, servitude and passiveness (c’mon girls in the good sense, don’t hit me yet). Have we become so obssessed with our carreers that we have forgotten to be women to our men? Women, above all, to ourselves?
My squinty native Brazilian eyes probably confuse them quite a bit, but it certainly works in my favour! Even with my Thai fish pants... Suey… suey… awwww how gorgeous, you being called pretty everywhere you go. Mind you, everything is not always rosy.
One night I took a ride with a song ta ( this pick up truck where passengers ride cheaply at the back, for a quarter of the price of a tuk tuk) and the man asked me to sit in the front, next to him. I did. Then, after the “suey” word, he made this body language with his hands showing a belly, suggesting I was either fat or pregnant! I shook my head desperately so he would not think I was expecting, realising that my gut was indeed out there! I laughed so hard at his sincerity and naivety at making such a dangerous remark. I could not make myself upset because, after all, the way he “said” it was very “suey”. More laughs came out from me as the gestures kept on happening and I didn’t know anymore what he made of me.
I didn’t have dinner that night, mind you, but a full body oil massage.
Today I had a special day. I got my groove back in terms of photographing again. I could not see anything for 2 days, I guess being on the high of PMS contribued to that. PMS and backpacks do not go together. This is when you want to cuddle up in bed with your cat, not your boyfriend or anything human. José is in Melbourne so I had to deal with my “blindness” and a sense of deep irritation to everything.
Anyway I ended up in a temple with 30 monks in what they call a “monk chat”. Monks in some monasteries want to practice English and also be able to answer any questions you may have. So I went along and it was great. Anyone in the Theravada line of Buddhism can be a monk. 1 day, 3 weeks 7 years or your whole life. Families send their kids to at least 1 year as a monk, it is highly regarded.
Which brings me back to the point (please let me enjoy my fantasy): Thai men are all nice, wonderfully perfect as they learn the principles of meditation, living in the now, of controlling sexual impulses (it can be a good thing, trust me). They know about the impermanence of things, so they can enjoy the moment. And be grateful for everything, including the wind that blows their hair and the wonderful woman they have. Their frustrations are lower because there is no future or past, it’s only a healthy mind in a very healthy body.
Now, would this NOT be a wonderful man???
I think we are missing out on a big pot of gold here girls.
Pretty amazing… really.
Love you all, beautiful chicks,
Vie

0 Comments:
Postar um comentário
<< Home