sexta-feira, fevereiro 24, 2006

Rolling Stones in Rio, the Brazilian Way

Reading the news this morning I was delighted to read about the latest buzz in Brazil this week: the culmination of 2 major rock concerts: The Rolling Stones in Rio and U2 in São Paulo. Mick Jagger and his troupe gathered nothing less than 2 million people at Copacabana beach.

From my safe 1st world beautiful and very organised bubble, I think to myself: this could only happen in Brazil. Never in Australia or anywhere else in the world.

To the bands consolation, and I bet it was, Mick can gladly go home and say Rio was probably one of the largest crowds he's ever played for. But to what expense? I question.

For starters there was a VIP (very important people) area for 4000 guests, celebrities amongst actors, wanna be singers, real performers, musicians, models and the like. You get the picture. All surrounded with the best prosecco, carrot sticks and glitter. And lots of air con to keep the clothes less sticky and the silicone stiffer. Miles away from the stage, deep down the far away sand, there was the other half of the VIP (very ignored people) who piled themselves up for a little snif of the Stones. (Thanks to Lorena for the word play)

Brazil loves to separate its classes accordingly. I can almost hear the talk between a couple of - possibly - middle aged men, organising this gig: " let's bring them here for us to enjoy, and, by making it a public event, we nail down sponsorships. We will be where we belong. The rest of the cattle can boil on the already polluted sand".

Tragic innit? But true. I can smell the mix of imported perfumes in the backstage important area. I can hear the latest comment on someone's plastic surgery. It's carnival after all, so the stiches must be itching badly, deperately trying to heal in time. Ah the bourgoisie... So gloriously typical and yet so tacky.

And I can also hear the delayed sound system, the echos, the lack of toilets, I can feel the constant stomping on my feet. And the traffic jams caused in the city. I don't need to be there to know, from previous experience, that's the best treatment we get. And it's free, so anything going wrong is excused.

I prefer smaller concerts, I like to watch the expression on a band's face, appreciate the music and see them playing live. Which is not to say I oppose massive gigs, they have an energy of its own. But I wouldn't have been seen at Woodstock either, unless under a strong lysergic influence. Unlikely, still.

Financially, it is simply not viable to fork out USD 150 for a musical gig in Brazil. No one would turn up, except the 'very special people' accompanied by their little portable poochs tucked in the latest Louis Vuitton bag. What's up with that?!?

So please, possibly middle aged organisers, if you are going to make it big, treat us with respect. Talk to Mr Medina, I'm sure he'll be able to give you some tips.

Ah... Brazil. The beauty of it all is to realise how people expect so little. And with the little given, big ivory smiles are unleashed, their hearts singing. A happiness that if only you could see... you'd think they would have just hit the latest jackpot. Such bliss...